Description

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric anxiety disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions" - (Wikipedia, 2007)

25 March 2008

OCD Dice

Self Control or Object Control??

Have produced some 'OCD Dice' on the CNC machine in the workshop...


The idea behind them is; I am trying to introduce a level of control over sufferers OCD.


Which got me thinking about control in general and the ways we can be controlled... Self control, second person control, object control.


...Which then got me thinking about the book 'The Dice Man' which involves a man who will not make a decision in life without rolling a dice. Therefor the dice decides for him.


So...the idea behind these dice is that the dice decides for the sufferer. (Object control)


Does this help control or reduce control? You decide!!


(Ive also made two number dice..one for even numbers and one for odd numbers. Just to enhance the OCD message slightly!)

The dice add an element of control...but also an element of complete chance. Maybe dice with the same thing written on them on each side...would better represent control.












6 comments:

Kevin Cook said...

Lil ... these are very nice ... How would one go about acquiring a set of these? ( DiceCollector.com )

LilyRibbons said...

Hello dicecollector!

Im afraid i only made one set of these dice, and i am currently between exhibitions, where they are present!

I'm not sure what i will do with them afterwards!

Lil

Kevin Cook said...

Should you decided to part with this one set ... I would be proud to host them ... Feel free to contact me via my website anytime :)m

LilyRibbons said...

Thanks for your interest!!

I have quite a few people interested in them! Do you purchase your dice or are they donated to you??

If i may ask, how did you come across my blog? (i like to know how i'm being found!)

Lil :)

Kevin Cook said...

>> I have quite a few people interested in them!

I bet you do

>> Do you purchase your dice or are they donated to you??

Both ... but mostly purchase

>> If i may ask, how did you come across my blog? (i like to know how i'm being found!)

A fellow collector sent me an email about your dice :) ... I am not sure how she found your blog ... I will ask her though

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm the one who pointed Kevin to these dice... I found them by running a search for "dice" on flickr and this one came up and looked interesting. Just lucky I guess! :-)

Jen